Dec 08, 2019 06:23 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Rate This Episode:
10 - 415 (48.9%)
9 - 207 (24.4%)
8 - 143 (16.9%)
7 - 52 (6.1%)
6 - 17 (2%)
5 - 4 (0.5%)
4 - 2 (0.2%)
3 - 2 (0.2%)
2 - 2 (0.2%)
1 - 4 (0.5%)
Total Voters: 824

Pages: « previous page   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [312] The Western Air Temple  (Read 144232 times)
KingOfThePandas
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

King Panda Of The Navi Panda Water Bending Elves!

« Reply #1075 on: Jan 07, 2011 10:52 am »

'OH MY GOD IT IS UPSIDEDOWN!' that is all i could say/think about for the rest of the episode. what a cool idea!

"What if we had ideas that could think for themselves? What if one day our dreams no longer needed us? When these things occur and are held to be true, the time will be upon us. The Time of Angels."
-River Song, Dr who
RWB
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1076 on: Jan 07, 2011 11:57 am »

- Katara had to witness her mother's death, and assume a more adult role prematurely, and all because of someone from the Fire Nation.  And as TSRs clarifies, she was projecting this onto Zuko.  Enemy who hails from the FN.

She did not witness Kya's death. The discussion leading up to it? Sure. But before Kya was killed, this happened:

Katara ran out. Not just a little bit before she was killed.

Just saying, since many seem to forget this. Heck, Katara knowing Kya claimed to be the last waterbender is either a plot hole, or her own reasoning(since they left after killing Kya). She did not hear Kya claim that.

And rewatching TSR, I really don't think as badly of Yon Rha. He is a coward. He is a killer(but again, so is Sokka). But he stands by his word. He had his orders and followed them. Kya even struck a deal with him, though she admittedly didn't expect him to kill her(after all, the earlier raids captured the Waterbenders).

Frankly, I hated the way they portrayed this, though. Because only a really horrible person could have killed Katara's mother, right? They couldn't just have made it a loyal, good man with orders? That would be a lot more interesting, seeing Katara coming to grips with the fact that her mother's killer is now helping out poor villagers in the fire nation, and he is an all-round nice guy.

To clarify, I actually find her threat unexcusable, but was merely arguing that it didn't come out from left field.  It's just that it seems like many posters forget that Katara has responded to problems much less serious than this with petty methods.  Even the more serious one like Pakku's sexism wasn't something that she should have responded to with a water whip.

Or her brutal tongue lashing against Sokka just for not agreeing with her, as well as on Toph, for the very same reason. Katara is pretty spiteful.

« Last Edit: Jan 07, 2011 12:04 pm by RWB » Logged

"I made [my money] on the seas, and in the mines, and in the cattle wars of the old frontier! I made it by being tougher than the toughies, and smarter than the smarties! And I made it square!" -Scrooge Mc Duck
Shi Len
Banned Clone Account
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I like rocks.

« Reply #1077 on: Jan 08, 2011 11:26 pm »

Or her brutal tongue lashing against Sokka just for not agreeing with her, as well as on Toph, for the very same reason. Katara is pretty spiteful.
If sokka ever said something that extreme to katara he would be nailed to the cross by the fandom.

Keeper of: Rebuilt Southern and Northern Water Tribes, The Earth Rumble VII, and Hama\\\'s Prison Cage.
RWB
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1078 on: Jan 08, 2011 11:52 pm »

I know. XD

"I made [my money] on the seas, and in the mines, and in the cattle wars of the old frontier! I made it by being tougher than the toughies, and smarter than the smarties! And I made it square!" -Scrooge Mc Duck
Antiyonder
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1079 on: Jan 10, 2011 07:20 pm »

And rewatching TSR, I really don't think as badly of Yon Rha. He is a coward. He is a killer(but again, so is Sokka). But he stands by his word. He had his orders and followed them.

Given the smirk on his face and the tone of his voice, he didn't seem to be regretful of doing so and took some pleasure in it.

And really?  Given how the fandom is towards Katara, I'd think that many of them would applaud Sokka.
Mr Grieves
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1080 on: Jan 10, 2011 07:35 pm »

And really?  Given how the fandom is towards Katara, I'd think that many of them would applaud Sokka.

Yeah pretty much Roll Eyes
Shi Len
Banned Clone Account
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I like rocks.

« Reply #1081 on: Jan 10, 2011 09:13 pm »

Guess again, sokka would be crucified by the fandom. Just read the was katara jusitied thread.

Keeper of: Rebuilt Southern and Northern Water Tribes, The Earth Rumble VII, and Hama\\\'s Prison Cage.
KingOfThePandas
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1082 on: Jan 11, 2011 09:30 am »

i agree with the kya's death thing. its a very good point. I feel sorry for Yon Rah. i mean sure he was bad in some ways but he was still a person.

"What if we had ideas that could think for themselves? What if one day our dreams no longer needed us? When these things occur and are held to be true, the time will be upon us. The Time of Angels."
-River Song, Dr who
NeeNee
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

We will not be quiet.

« Reply #1083 on: Jan 11, 2011 10:49 am »

^ A person who'd ask a stranger to kill his mother.

KingOfThePandas
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1084 on: Jan 11, 2011 11:03 am »

his mother is mean and hates him, i think that was still not justified but still he was taught to be ruthless. if its anyones fault Kyas dead its the fault of fire lord sozin. evil man...

-River Song, Dr who
Antiyonder
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1085 on: Jan 11, 2011 12:27 pm »

I brought up the events of the episode because they provide reasons for Katara's hostility with Zuko, but it's becoming more about Yon, so let's continue that here: http://forums.avatarspirit.net/index.php?topic=14015.1075
Weege the Airbender
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Airbender for Life

« Reply #1086 on: Feb 21, 2011 07:21 pm »

Great episode! I love Zuko in this one! He's so funny! Cheesy

"I told you I would destroy you."
"With you out of the way, I will be the one true Avatar."
"Your name will echo throughout history: Korra, the last Avatar."
version15
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1087 on: Dec 18, 2013 07:08 pm »

Excellent episode for me personallyz as I always knew Zuko would eventually join the group. I think they pulled it off very well.

Keeper of the Red Spirit, both the canon inspiration for the Blue Spirit and the real life title messup in the channel guides on TV
Colonel_Brian
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1088 on: Dec 31, 2014 02:35 pm »

All in all this was an entertaining episode. I love how dorky Zuko can sometimes be. He had tons of good moments and everybody was in top form. I didn't even mind Katara's threat at the end. Though the "never say die" trope was pretty jarring here. Combustion Man went out in a really cool manner. I am glad that Sokka got to take him out.
Pages: « previous page   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: