Dec 09, 2019 08:29 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Rate This Episode:
10 - 415 (48.9%)
9 - 207 (24.4%)
8 - 143 (16.9%)
7 - 52 (6.1%)
6 - 17 (2%)
5 - 4 (0.5%)
4 - 2 (0.2%)
3 - 2 (0.2%)
2 - 2 (0.2%)
1 - 4 (0.5%)
Total Voters: 824

Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [312] The Western Air Temple  (Read 144280 times)
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1050 on: May 24, 2010 05:34 pm »

I absolutely LOVE Zuko when he is reciting his lines before he goes to talk to the gaang - in my opinion, best scene ever!

Also, when he is imitating Iroh's wisdom:
"Zuko, you have to look within yourself to save yourself from your other self. Only then will your true self reveal itself." - SO GREAT
SOOO funny!
« Last Edit: Jun 13, 2010 10:35 am by AvatarObsessed » Logged

"In our darkest times, hope is something we give ourselves. That is the meaning of inner strength."
- Iroh
SuJu_Girl
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Aish!

« Reply #1051 on: Jun 11, 2010 08:57 pm »

Agreed. ^^
Zuko ain't any Iroh. lol. Azula was spot on though. One of Zuko's best episodes.

Sig and avvy by me.
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1052 on: Jun 13, 2010 10:35 am »

totally Smiley

"In our darkest times, hope is something we give ourselves. That is the meaning of inner strength."
- Iroh
Mooseboy018
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

"Good morning."

« Reply #1053 on: Jun 21, 2010 04:29 pm »

positives:
-amazing Iroh/Zuko flashbacks Grin
-Zuko joining the gaang
-Toph defending Zuko
-Katara still not trusting Zuko (I know Zutarians some people hated her for it, but I think it wasn't out of character at all.)
-Aang telling Katara and Sokka about the Blue Spirit
-Zuko saving the gaang from Combustion Man
-Zuko practicing what he's going to say
-Aang trying to ignore his problems.
-"Hello. Zuko here!" Cheesy
-Zuko's Iroh impersonation Tongue
-Teo is actually somewhat likable in this episode (probably because he has only a couple lines).
-Katara mentioning Jeong Jeong

negatives:
-Zuko didn't sound as commanding as he should have when he was facing Combustion Man.
-Toph's burnt feet is another one of those little things in season 3 that shows up and is never mentioned again... Roll Eyes
-Haru is just as boring as ever.
-Haru, Teo, and the Duke are completely useless (but I guess that's better than having them taking away screen time from the important characters).

rating: 9.5

my Last Airbender comics
keeper of: Koh's creepy voice, his laugh, and his three minutes of screen-time.
birdiegirl8
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

So much win in this icon.

« Reply #1054 on: Oct 25, 2010 02:30 pm »

I luv Zuko's impression of Azula. That was hilarious and I love Dante Basco even more now.

divsalley
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Zuko fan!!!

« Reply #1055 on: Oct 25, 2010 06:40 pm »

This episode is a real treat!!! We actually find out that Zuko's a dorky guy... Not that this takes away any of his appeal in my eyes... actually, it strengthens it Tongue... And the Western Air Temple is WOW!!! And like everyone else said, watching Zuko cringe as he thinks about how harsh he was to his uncle shows just how much he's grown up. I absolutely LOVE Zuko for it. He's always been my favorite character, and with this episode, he's cemented that position. LOVED the part where he rehearses his speech to the GAang. The GAang's reaction is absolutely perfect! The writers NAILED it!!! And Appa, thanks for remembering Zuko set you free!!! (huggies!) "Hello... Zuko here!" cracks me up everytime! Toph's level headed approach is awesome. LOVE you, Toph! And I COMPLETELY support Katara's reaction. She TRULY believed in CoD that Zuko had changed. She offered to heal his scar... And what did he do? He joined his sister and helped her take Aang down. To the people who say she was unforgiving, please rewatch CoD. She yelled at him at first, yes... Again, this can be attributed to the fact that she hasn't seen Zuko change. We, as viewers, have. And as much as I LOVE Zuko, I completely side with Katara on this one. She trusted him enough to offer to heal his scar. She WAS forgiving then. She WAS ready to give him another chance. But he sided with Azula, which resulted in Aang's near death experience. So for her to resent him, loathe him, etc; is completely justified. The fight with combustion man... well, he had to go. Didn't feel to bad about that. And Katara's death threat??? Well, like I said before, she was completely justified. 10 on 10.
« Last Edit: Oct 25, 2010 06:44 pm by divsalley » Logged

Keeper of Zuko's speech in 321, Zuko's future Firelord Portrait,
Zuko's Destiny, and Appa and Aang's reunion in 217
Thanks a ton for the Christmas present Iceeh!!!
Cheesy
letsplaywithfire
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1056 on: Nov 29, 2010 02:18 am »

This is one of my favorite episodes, mainly because we get to see Zuko being a sensitive dork.
Love Zuko's rehearsal in front of the toad-thing.
Really, I laughed so hard.

Never.give.up
Mr Grieves
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1057 on: Nov 29, 2010 02:20 am »

This is one of my favorite episodes, mainly because we get to see Zuko being a sensitive dork.
Love Zuko's rehearsal in front of the toad-thing.
Really, I laughed so hard.

I quite enjoy moments when Zuko interacts with small animals myself Grin

Another good one is that small bird (or something) that looks at him in Zuko Alone when he first arrives at the farm Tongue
Shi Len
Banned Clone Account
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I like rocks.

« Reply #1058 on: Nov 29, 2010 12:03 pm »

This episode was abit boring, not mention how stupid zuko can be at times.

Keeper of: Rebuilt Southern and Northern Water Tribes, The Earth Rumble VII, and Hama\\\'s Prison Cage.
EndlessFlame55
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Riddle Me This, Riddle Me That~

« Reply #1059 on: Nov 29, 2010 03:51 pm »

Stupid how? I don't recall Zuko acting stupidly in this episode all that much, other than choppily putting together his speech the first time he meets the gang, and burning Toph my accident. Mind explaining to me why you believe that Zuko was acting stupid?

*~*ASN's Queen of Bromance*~* (Tumblr link in siggy. <3)

Keeper of: The 'Iroh Is Zuko's Father' theory, and the Irko reunion scene.
(I love these boys with my whole entire heart~)
Shi Len
Banned Clone Account
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I like rocks.

« Reply #1060 on: Nov 29, 2010 04:30 pm »

Telling the gang he hired combustion man to kill them, zuko stated it himself this isn't up for discussion.

Keeper of: Rebuilt Southern and Northern Water Tribes, The Earth Rumble VII, and Hama\\\'s Prison Cage.
Mr Grieves
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1061 on: Nov 29, 2010 06:08 pm »

He probably thought that since he was trying to earn the Gaang's trust, he should fess up everything he's done and clear the air - also, he was awkward and nervous as anything. He probably would've had to had told them at some point and it was probably best to do it at this stage - imagine if he had earned their trust and then dropped that bombshell Tongue
Shi Len
Banned Clone Account
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I like rocks.

« Reply #1062 on: Nov 29, 2010 06:33 pm »

Sigh, the reasons why people try to defend zuko's stupidity is beyond me.

Mr Grieves
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1063 on: Nov 29, 2010 06:43 pm »

Sigh, the reasons why people try to defend zuko's stupidity is beyond me.

Its more that we don't like to paint things so simply. Rather than looking at every mistake (or supposed mistake) Zuko makes and summing it up as 'oh well, he must just be stupid', I actually prefer to put some thought into the situation and his motivations and whatnot.
Shi Len
Banned Clone Account
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I like rocks.

« Reply #1064 on: Nov 29, 2010 08:42 pm »

Lol, paint it as complex as you can, the fact remains zuko isn't very bright there is no way around it.

EndlessFlame55
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1065 on: Nov 29, 2010 08:58 pm »

Lol, paint it as complex as you can, the fact remains zuko isn't very bright there is no way around it.

...He's not really all that stupid as you paint him Shi Len. He's just a very complicated, easily confused, and messed up character that has trouble doing things without consequences. So he made a mistake with his speech to the group, so what? That's what happens when he tries to do something without thinking it through the first time around. When he actually managed to think straight about what he was trying to prove to Aang and his friends, as seen in his second attempt at the end of the episode, he managed to not look so much as a fool and look quite serious and strong.

Zuko can be quite bright, when he can actually think without stress piled upon his shoulders.

Shi Len
Banned Clone Account
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I like rocks.

« Reply #1066 on: Nov 29, 2010 09:20 pm »

Lol, like tempting his crazy sister to shoot lightning at him, touching that golden egg for some mysterious reason, etc. With or without stress on his shoulders zuko isn't very bright.

EndlessFlame55
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1067 on: Nov 29, 2010 09:26 pm »

Lol, like tempting his crazy sister to shoot lightning at him, touching that golden egg for some mysterious reason, etc. With or without stress on his shoulders zuko isn't very bright.

He got ahead of himself and more than likely probably didn't think that Azula, in her insane state of mind, would think about shooting Katara. And although that was kind of foolish of him to shout that at her, he thought he could handle himself with his new abilities that Iroh taught him. He just got far too cocky in battle. He often thinks too much of his abilities as you have seen in Bitter Work and so forth. That's not foolishness or stupidity, just something that's in his character, cockiness. Tongue Many characters are like that in several different series, and so forth. Not stupidity.

And about the egg thing, he was just curious about it and picked it up because of such. Tongue I mean, come on, if you saw something shiny on a pedestal that you knew nothing about, wouldn't you at least poke it or be curious about it? And besides, that's scene was kind of just for humorous reasons, and because it was SO obvious that either Aang OR Zuko would at least end up picking it up sooner or later.

Kichigai Hi
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

本当は二人しか知らない

« Reply #1068 on: Nov 29, 2010 11:43 pm »

Uh yeah I think calling Zuko plain stupid is a bit harsh. Yeah, he does stupid things sometimes (which character or person hasn't?), but this episode was pretty good for him. Had Zuko been a static character who never questioned anything and remained at pre-The Storm level, that could qualify as stupid. TWAT (lol) completely turned that around for him. And again, all the characters have done stupid things/acted dense/been arrogant etc. Why just pick on Zuko, when we could call them all stupid? (Except for maybe Bumi 'cause he's just crazy.) Zuko is impulsive and "doesn't think things through" in Iroh's own words so yeah, he's not always smart. But impulsiveness is a character flaw many people have, and not even the worst flaw he could have in my opinion. You're entitled to your own. Smiley

What could you possibly do for a country of depraved little fire monsters?

Keeper of Aang's Honor.

My work is done.

~気違い
Shi Len
Banned Clone Account
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I like rocks.

« Reply #1069 on: Dec 01, 2010 11:45 pm »

^ I'm not picking on zuko, i'm just agreeing with what he said about himself. I honestly don't want to make a list of things that zuko has done because it would solidify my opinion on him. As for the rest of the characters they have their moments but zuko beats everyone all around the board on a consistent basis.

Antiyonder
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1070 on: Dec 14, 2010 06:31 pm »

Quote from: Psycho Silver
Here's what really gets to me. Katara may not know his story like us, but she believes that he is, or is at least trying to be one of the good guys. The thing is though, even when she knows this, Katara's still letting her own hate get to her. It's like, "Okay, I see you're being sincere with trying to make up for all the horrible things you've done, but I'm still going to kill you the minute you have another accident." This is the kind of stuff that villains do; they have zero sympathy even when they fully understand a person. Katara's being heartless. Her distrust is justified, but not threatening death, because even at his worst, I don't think Zuko deserved such a punishment, not even when he hired Combustion Man. Such harsh treatment on someone undeserving of it is one of the worst things a person can do to another.

But if bad guy Zuko could show honorable traits, you (not you specifically) have to accept that good people will do regrettable things.  Now the underlined portion holds true in a basic cartoon where the villains are pure evil and the heroes are nearflawless saints who have annoying traits at the most.

And as I've stated in similar arguments, this behavior doesn't come out of nowhere.  She chewed Aang out for doing better at Water Bending when he wasn't even being smug, she violently attacked Pakku in reaction to his sexist behavior and she made fun of Toph's handicap (which is the proverbial hitting below the belt) simply to have the last word in an argument.  Pakku at the time was a jerk at the most, while Aang and Toph are friends.

If she's willing to behave like that to her friends, is it really hard to believe that she'd say/do worst to an enemy that she's reluctant to trust?

And to posters as a whole, I apologize if I constantly bring my thoughts on the matter up, but it seems to me that people entered viewing this show expecting the protagonists to be wholesome/near flawless heroes.

Now, about Zuko's dorkishness. I think that's how Zuko would normally act, if his life wasn't so messed up, a slightly insecure idiot with a big heart and a short temper. Actually, that sounds a lot like some shonen anime characters.

There's that.  But he was also in a new situation where he would be among people that he sparingly encountered.  When he was among his loving and familiar uncle he was less prone to being as dorky.  But he doesn't yet know the Gaang personally, and has no reason to believe they would accept him.
Star Outlaw
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Are you okay?

« Reply #1071 on: Dec 14, 2010 06:57 pm »

You make a good point Antiyonder. And I guess it's just plain personal for Katara since she let Zuko get close to him. And after giving it some more thought, Katara's not really wrong with her threat. She's pretty justified in distrusting him, as he could have betrayed them at any moment, although that would have been very out of character for Zuko. As the audience, we know Zuko's being sincere, which just makes feel more sympathetic for him after Katara's death threat, because we really want him to be accepted into the group by everyone. So, it's not at all unrealistic for Katara to give a death threat regarding the situation, it just feels really weird seeing her act that way.

Most of Zuko's time spent with Iroh was when he was still in his "inner turmoil" phase, so even then he would be acting more brooding and angry than dorky, and the dorkiness does shine through even then from time to time. I think this was the first time that Zuko ever had to really be friendly with people his own age in a very long time, or ever if his only childhood friends had been Zula, Mai, and Ty Lee. He's socially awkward, obviously. He had to learn the right way to deal with people that didn't involve fighting.

Check out my Avatar Music Videos.

I keep Pabu. Sig by LeonsKennedy4815
Antiyonder
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1072 on: Dec 14, 2010 07:16 pm »

^^^ Plus I have to say that it was the timing and history that made a difference.  Many factors that help make this scene workable:

- Katara had to witness her mother's death, and assume a more adult role prematurely, and all because of someone from the Fire Nation.  And as TSRs clarifies, she was projecting this onto Zuko.  Enemy who hails from the FN.

- Adding to that, Zuko was taunting her with the necklace belonging to said mother.

- You summed up the trusting of Zuko only to see him attack and contribute to Aang dying well.

- And she was again seperated from her father, plus their best chance at stopping The Fire Nation failed.

To clarify, I actually find her threat unexcusable, but was merely arguing that it didn't come out from left field.  It's just that it seems like many posters forget that Katara has responded to problems much less serious than this with petty methods.  Even the more serious one like Pakku's sexism wasn't something that she should have responded to with a water whip.
Toph13139
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

i sense a disturbance

« Reply #1073 on: Dec 14, 2010 09:08 pm »

Okay, no offense, but so far, in every single thread of the Episode Discussion I've commented on, you seem to "not like the episode" or "find it boring"... Do you like any episode? I can see that you hate Zuko's character, because you are the very first Avatard I've met that only limit themselves to say that he's "stupid". You're right, Zuko does pretty stupid things... But he's not the only one in the show that does it, in case you watched another episode you didn't like.

I'm sorry if that sounded petty or bratty, but it's how I feel.

EDIT: Totally forgot the important part... I loved this episode as well. Come on, 51 episodes waiting for this to happen! Finally, man! Finally!
« Last Edit: Dec 14, 2010 09:18 pm by Toph13139 » Logged

Shi Len
Banned Clone Account
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I like rocks.

« Reply #1074 on: Dec 15, 2010 11:34 am »

Okay, no offense, but so far, in every single thread of the Episode Discussion I've commented on, you seem to "not like the episode" or "find it boring"... Do you like any episode?
Please read my posts in the good episodes i.e. the blind bandit, zuko alone, bitter work, the day of black sun, siege of the north etc.
you are the very first Avatard I've met that only limit themselves to say that he's "stupid". You're right, Zuko does pretty stupid things...
I'm not limiting anything i see zuko as he presents himself, no one does
But he's not the only one in the show that does it
Zuko does this on the regular.
in case you watched another episode you didn't like.
Sigh, please read my first post.

Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: