Dec 17, 2017 05:07 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Rate This Episode:
10 - 36 (27.3%)
9 - 27 (20.5%)
8 - 31 (23.5%)
7 - 17 (12.9%)
6 - 12 (9.1%)
5 - 5 (3.8%)
4 - 1 (0.8%)
3 - 1 (0.8%)
2 - 1 (0.8%)
1 - 1 (0.8%)
Total Voters: 129

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [107] The Spirit World: Winter Solstice Part 1  (Read 17393 times)
system4000
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Dragon Dance

« Reply #50 on: Dec 21, 2009 06:39 pm »

Right now they are having this episode and then part 2. Thing is today is officially the start of 2009 Winter Solstice. Wonder if Nicktoons did that on purpose.

NeeNee
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

We will not be quiet.

« Reply #51 on: Dec 21, 2009 08:21 pm »

^ I don't think so. Or their attitude towards Avatar should have seriously changed.

It's a nice coincidence though. Smiley
« Last Edit: Dec 21, 2009 08:23 pm by NeeNee » Logged

Mooseboy018
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

"Good morning."

« Reply #52 on: Apr 19, 2010 05:26 pm »

positives:
-an interesting way to introduce the Spirit World
-one of my favorite Iroh/Zuko B plots
-Hei Bai
-hinting at Iroh's Spirit World journey
-some Iroh backstory
-naked Iroh time! Cheesy
-Fang

negatives:
-the pacing is pretty slow in most of the A plot
-the "magical plot solving acorn" bugs me some times

rating: 9

This is the episode that got me hooked during its original airing. I wasn't obsessed yet (that didn't happen until right before season 3 started), but I was definitely hooked.

my Last Airbender comics
keeper of: Koh's creepy voice, his laugh, and his three minutes of screen-time.
catstop
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Keeper of the decedents of the Air Nomad survivors

« Reply #53 on: Jul 16, 2010 01:23 am »

Act 1: Act one did a very good job at setting up plot as well as a great foreshadow.
Act 1 Rating: 7

Act 2: Act two was very tight and very well done. The transition is rather unclear though - I think it's when Zhao comes in the temple. O.K. timing - it came to soon technicality but can pass.
Switch Rating: 4
Act 2 Rating: 9

Act 3: Act three is very nice - ALOT of foreshadowing going on here. Act three is always the hardest on critical scenes - they did a good job considering everything.
Act 3 Rating: 6

Special Effects: 8

Dialog: 8

Storyline: 9

Extra pluses/minuses: Plus: Heaps of foreshadow. Minus: Acorn fix was corny

Over All: 8

Pairings supported: On Ji x Aang - Katara x Jet - Sokka x Suki - Toph x Tenzik (FN OC from "The Headband") - Appa x Nyla - Momo x Hawky - Zuko x Mai - Ty Lee x Haru - Azula x Chach
Fionordequester
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #54 on: Aug 22, 2010 01:53 pm »

Yo people, raise your hands up for some more Avatar: The Last Airbender!

Again, I'm pleasantly surprised by the intro, starting off with some more of that "7th Saga" music I always love.  Of course, then it immediately gets interrupted by this wilder theme that only lasts for a few seconds anyways, followed by another song silly song as Aang shakes the water off of him.  Just a difference in tastes I guess, but I think it would've been more effective had the composer just kept that same peaceful "7th Saga" music playing up until Saka and Katara see that ruined forest.  I just think having a consistent mood going on, instead of it changing twice in 17 seconds would've sounded better.  But, that's more of a personal taste issue, so, no biggy.  I'm no music composer anyways.  But seriously, what's the name of the song that plays in the beginning?  I checked Youtube for it, but no dice.

Anyways, as his reaction to the forest shows, it's nice to see that Aang's actually taking this seriously for once.  His revelation that he has no idea how to do his job, was, I thought, pretty touching to.  I think it sheds a whole new light on his earlier irresponsibilities.  It makes me think that all that shirking of his duties in the earlier episodes was just him being frightened to go forward and embrace his destiny.  I think I'd be pretty scared to if I was his age, although, I think I would've handled it a bit better (although I also would've acted a lot more depressed). 

Unfortunately, I cannot say the same for one "Great Hero of the Fire Nation", who was particularly exasperating in this episode.  You know how in Episode 1, I painted Zuko's impatience as a negative, and thought it revealed an ugly side to him?  Well, it still kind of did, but suddenly it's making a lot more sense considering what Zuko has to put up with.

Zuko: Uncle!  It's time to leave!  Where are you?!  Uncle Iroh!
Iroh: Over here!
Zuko: Uncle?  We need to move on!  We're closing in on the Avatar's trail, and I don't want to lose him!
Iroh: You look tired Prince Zuko.  Why don't you join me in these hot springs and soak away your troubles?
Zuko: My troubles cannot be soaked away.  It's time to go!
Iroh: You should take your teachers advice and relax a little.  The temperatures just right.  I heated it myself...

Yes, lets just forget all about restoring the honor you've been desperately seeking for all these years, catching the enemy that could be the very ruin of your homeland, and finally gaining the love of your father.  Seriously, does Iroh have no understanding of what Zuko's going througZuko is going through.  If he's trying to teach him patience and level headedness, fine, but he's doing it in a way that's insulting to Zuko (well, I think so anyways).  The very least he can do is show that he understands (I hope he does).

Speaking of Zuko, is it just me, or does he seem slightly less brutish than he was in Episode 1?  It might just be because most of his interactions shown onscreen have been with Iroh, where pushiness obviously isn't cutting it, but he seems to be trying harder to keep his anger under control (which, can't be easy when dealing with Iroh).  Honestly, if it weren't for the fact that Iroh's teaching Zuko how to be a better figher, I'd think he was actively trying to make sure Zuko fails.

The ending to their conversation was great though.  It was really funny how Zuko reacted to Iroh getting out of the tub.

In the next few scenes, we're brought up to date on the plague, the great monster Heibai, that threatens to destroy the village that Aang and Co. end up at.  As well, I think I just figured out how this cartoon handles death.  I'm assuming that the Spirit World is the afterlife?  Or something like that?

I'm confused about Heibai's motivations by the way.  He seems to want to destroy, but has no interesting in actually harming living things.  Well, that is, until he grabs Sokka and is happy to just leave with Sokka in tow.  Why was he so interested in Sokka anyways?

After some more of Aang and Heibai's struggles, we cut back to Iroh, who, intentionally or not, almost makes himself out to be even lazier....

Iroh: Aah, the great city of Bazhingsei.
Earthbender Warrior: It was greater than you were, apparently.
Iroh: I acknowledge my defeat at Bazhingsei.  After 600 days away from home, my men were tired, and I was tired...and I'm still tired...

I'm sure the brave men and women who fought in Vietnam would've loved to hear Iroh's story.  However, I also acknowledge that in Vietnam, we were getting nowhere fast for years and years, so with Iroh, maybe he just knew when to quit?  Or, maybe he's giving false reasons so that the warriors will underestimate him?  I really that's not honestly why he quit his campaign...

Ironically enough, it's this scene in which we finally get a glimpse of Iroh's true cleverness, in which he leaves behind a sandle for ZUko to follow. 

I'm not sure what the Earthbenders are trying to do by the way.  They're bringing Iroh to "face justice", which probably means they're going to kill him, but then, why go to all the trouble of transporting him to their village?  Why not just kill him right then and there?  Of course, maybe that's NOT what they're doing considering that they were nice enough to tighten the shackles on Iroh when he requested it.  Maybe you guys can add a little to this discussion?  What do you think? 

It is here that Aang's side of the story goes out of the picture for most of the rest of this post, as most of the rest of his story in this episode is flying around with a Dragon who does weird stuff to his mind, so, I'll just say that it is here that Zuko makes the final leap, from villain to anti-hero, by choosing to continue trying to rescue Iroh instead of following Aang when he is given the option.  It's great stuff, as Zuko doesn't actually seem that bad of a guy anymore, but at the same time, it leaves sort of a seething exasperation when you realize that now, we're stuck with Zhao as the villain, a villain who is, for all intents and purposes, all bark and no bite.  Wonderful...

Oh well, at least this way, I'll get endless amusement from how Zuko, a young 16 year old exiled prince with almost no resources, is STILL dancing circles around Zhao in just about every way.  Puts a smile on my face every time Grin

Zuko rescues Iroh from dealing with the consequences for running away.  I'm not completely sure what Iroh accomplished by trying to run away and failing (he smiled like he accomplished something after failing), as in my eyes, all it did was put him at unnecessary risk of getting maimed, but whatever.  Fight sequence!

And...ok, ok, Zuko does do pretty good, I guess, but remember, he had Iroh with him.  Just look at how he almost got his head smashed by a boulder to the back of the head!  Of course...he was completely surrounded, and if there's one thing I learned in Martial Arts training, it's that trying to keep an eye on everyone when they've got you surrounded is almost impossible, so, I guess I can't really fault Zuko for it.  Actually, had he done this all by himself, I would've officially had to take back everything I said about his weak sauce fighting.  But, he didn't, so I'm not inclined to yet.  But, he was smart at least.  The moment he had an opportunity, he got out of the circle and got all his opponents in front of him, which is ALWAYS the first thing you should try to do in that situation.

By the way, is it me, or is that little break dancing fire kick of his kind of a signature move for him?  He first used it to own the three Kyoshi Warriors that attacked him in Episode 4, if you need visual aide.

So anyways, after that, Aang calms down Heibai, and it's here that I take back what I said about Heibai earlier.  He WAS an animal, so maybe he didn't have a clear motive.  Just raging.  But, he seemed oddly specific in his actions for that to happen so, again, I'd like your opinions.

Also, why's Sokka getting flak for asking for supplies and money?  Isn't that something they really need?  I mean really Katara, you're going to complain about him bringing nothing but nuts for dinner, then turn right around and yell at him for asking for money and supplies?!  Seriously?!  You need to understand that it takes money to get much better, capische?!

So, to wrap up this blog, Aang's next objective is to finally talk to Avatar Roku by going to some sort of shrine in the Fire Nation...yeah. 

Whatever happens, I'm going to be so upset if Aang goes to all that trouble to get there, only for their talk to amount to this...

Roku: You must master the elements Aang.
Aang: I should.

or...

Roku: You should use water against the Fire Nation
Aang: I should.  Thanks Dragon!
Roku: No problem!

To wrap it up, I would say it's another typical, good episode, but, it's a two parter, so I'm not going to give it a rating just yet.  See ya next time!
iamaang92
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #55 on: Aug 22, 2010 02:01 pm »

The dragon in the movie is not at all related to the show. You shall see soon enough.
Iroh has his reasons for ending his campaign, and for the way he is...He's far from lazy. He doesn't want Zuko to fail. Of course, it's up to you to define what "failure" is. More on that later.
Yea, Zuko has a signature kick to his firebending, but I don't know if it's the same one I'm thnking about.
The Katara and Sokka thing is just bickering back and forth between brother and sister. It's not meant to be taken so literally. And you will not be disappointed in this next episode. 

LOK and Makorra are great
Keeper of Tho's "No wonder you left", Aang's "It's a compliment!", Katara's "Sugar Queen?" and Ozai's "I have all the power in the world!"
Mooseboy018
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

"Good morning."

« Reply #56 on: Aug 22, 2010 03:40 pm »

Iroh also has to put up with a lot of crap from Zuko, so it works both ways.  Iroh supports him and gives advice that Zuko throws right back in his face a lot of the time, and he doesn't always get the respect or appreciation that he deserves.  He can be pretty lazy, but that's just the way he is.  He truly cares about Zuko and wants him to find his own path. 

Iroh's real reason for giving up the siege will be revealed eventually.

And about Sokka asking for supplies...I think Katara was just annoyed by the way he asked. Cheesy

my Last Airbender comics
keeper of: Koh's creepy voice, his laugh, and his three minutes of screen-time.
Ambrose
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #57 on: Sep 13, 2010 12:48 pm »

Iroh and Zuko are becoming my favorite characters, I liked how he saved his Uncle instead of pursuing the avatar.  Small touches of things to come, when we see Iroh can see into the avtar world.

Carpe diem
NeeNee
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

We will not be quiet.

« Reply #58 on: Sep 14, 2010 11:05 am »

In the next few scenes, we're brought up to date on the plague, the great monster Heibai, that threatens to destroy the village that Aang and Co. end up at.  As well, I think I just figured out how this cartoon handles death.  I'm assuming that the Spirit World is the afterlife?  Or something like that?
Not really. We never get to learn exactly what the Spirit World is, but it doesn't seem like all the dead people go ever there. It's pretty unclear, in fact.

I'm confused about Heibai's motivations by the way.  He seems to want to destroy, but has no interesting in actually harming living things.  Well, that is, until he grabs Sokka and is happy to just leave with Sokka in tow.  Why was he so interested in Sokka anyways?
He wasn't. He kidnapped a whole bunch of villagers too. Just random lashing out against humans, I guess.

Iroh: Aah, the great city of Bazhingsei.
Earthbender Warrior: It was greater than you were, apparently.
Iroh: I acknowledge my defeat at Bazhingsei.  After 600 days away from home, my men were tired, and I was tired...and I'm still tired...

I'm sure the brave men and women who fought in Vietnam would've loved to hear Iroh's story.  However, I also acknowledge that in Vietnam, we were getting nowhere fast for years and years, so with Iroh, maybe he just knew when to quit?  Or, maybe he's giving false reasons so that the warriors will underestimate him?  I really that's not honestly why he quit his campaign...
He's just putting up a story so they won't be suspicious of him falling of the ostrich horse all of a sudden. So they won't notice the sandal he left for Zuko to find.

I'm not sure what the Earthbenders are trying to do by the way.  They're bringing Iroh to "face justice", which probably means they're going to kill him, but then, why go to all the trouble of transporting him to their village?  Why not just kill him right then and there?  Of course, maybe that's NOT what they're doing considering that they were nice enough to tighten the shackles on Iroh when he requested it.  Maybe you guys can add a little to this discussion?  What do you think?
Public execution of a dangerous enemy is a great way to restore the moral of your troops. If they had just killed him there and then, people would always have wondered if he was really the Dragon of the West.

And Ba Sing Se is not 'their village', it's the capital of the Earth Kingdom.

Also, why's Sokka getting flak for asking for supplies and money?  Isn't that something they really need?  I mean really Katara, you're going to complain about him bringing nothing but nuts for dinner, then turn right around and yell at him for asking for money and supplies?!  Seriously?!  You need to understand that it takes money to get much better, capische?!
Because you don't ask like that. Have you no manners? Grin

Whatever happens, I'm going to be so upset if Aang goes to all that trouble to get there, only for their talk to amount to this...

Roku: You must master the elements Aang.
Aang: I should.

or...

Roku: You should use water against the Fire Nation
Aang: I should.  Thanks Dragon!
Roku: No problem!
It's a tad more important than that. And, um, Roku isn't a dragon. Undecided

worldends08
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm an Avatard. Big whoop. Want to fight about it?

« Reply #59 on: Sep 14, 2010 11:24 am »

We never got ANY insight behind Iroh's trip to the Spirit World. Call me oblivious/forgetful but I forgot/didn't notic Iroh watching Fang fly by with Aang on his back.

Keeper of nothing but my own imagination & and this->
NeeNee
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

We will not be quiet.

« Reply #60 on: Sep 14, 2010 11:26 am »

I was talking about the Spirit World in general, not about Iroh's trip. But it's true that we didn't get enough on that either.

SMBH
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Lord Zuko is not amused

« Reply #61 on: Sep 14, 2010 11:26 am »

He wasn't. He kidnapped a whole bunch of villagers too. Just random lashing out against humans, I guess.

Hei Bai also got annoyed at Sokka because of the boomerang he threw at his butt Tongue

ATLA Keeps: Kuei's necklace, Pandalilies, Zhaodburns, Sokka's DoBS speech
TLOK Keeps: Sparkly bush, Aang's statue, Korrlok, Asami's racetrack
Toph Bei Master
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Huge Avatar:TLA Fan, love the Avatar Universe

« Reply #62 on: Oct 16, 2010 01:46 pm »

This episode I think show how much the spirit world is awsome. And drives people to know more about it in the Avatar Universe.

The key to earthbending is your stance.
Ubern00b
On Probation
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Moar Avatar makes me happy in my smile parts!

« Reply #63 on: May 30, 2011 04:08 am »

Ep. 106 review.

Ubern00b reviews Avatar: The Last Airbender

Y'know, between the two of 'em, DR Movie's been getting the lions share of the meatier stories in Season 1, which was the season notable for how aimless it was.  It's something I never noticed, but it is rather odd considering JM was the 'primary' animation studio, with DR basically being hired help.

But at least in this ep, they make good.  They bring back the higher quality designs last seen in The Souther Air Temple and while they never really show much flair in the animation, at least it stays visually appealing.  Well...for the most part...

Special Aang requires special care.

This episode is pretty dramatic, so it's mostly the synth orchestra save for the first scene in the episode and some village ambiance that greatly assists in creating some nice atmosphere for those scenes.  Otherwise, there's really not much to talk about in that department.

Continuing with the meat metaphor, this ep is pretty beefy.  It covers a lot of ground regarding the rules of how this world works and the Avatar's job, while still keeping focus on developing Aang as a character.  The show never forgot Aang's perspective amongst all events and while he was frustrated by how little he knew, he didn't hesitate to get in the middle of it all if he thought it could help.  They even keep the guilt that motivates his attitude subtle, but noticeably present, maintaining the humanity of character.  It's quite impressive and I never noticed it before.  And I'd be remiss if I didn't note the quality snark Sokka displays this episode.

Iroh and Zuko, don't quite fare as well.  It's nothing bad mind, but it feels very 'going through the motions'.  Iroh get's captured so we can see how capable he is under pressure and how much Zuko cares for him.  It's pretty standard fare, but it's done well enough.  However I could have very much done without the initial bathing scene m'self.  There was some mighty bad subtext running under that particular scene.  I'm sure it read fine for most people as Iroh tries to entice his nephew to relax in the tub with him, but the first time I saw it, all I could think of was Herbert the Pervert from Family Guy.

He knows what boys like.

Like I said, it's impressive what they were able to accomplish here.  The characterization remains strong during what is sort of an infodump episode while also being fairly suspenseful and nicely atmospheric.

Ep. 108 review.
« Last Edit: Jun 09, 2011 05:16 am by Ubern00b » Logged

Fionordequester
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #64 on: May 31, 2011 11:11 am »

However I could have very much done without the initial bathing scene m'self.  There was some mighty bad subtext running under that particular scene.  I'm sure it read fine for most people as Iroh tries to entice his nephew to relax in the tub with him, but the first time I saw it, all I could think of was Herbert the Pervert from Family Guy.

You know, I always did think something was weird about how Iroh emphasized I heated it myself....

Mr Grieves
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #65 on: Jun 01, 2011 07:06 am »

I'm pretty sure a lot of that 'village ambiance' stuff was some of my favourite stuff from the soundtrack. If I'm thinking of same thing here...the Eastern influenced, traditional instrument music. Great stuff
Hawkflame
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Don't cross the Melon Lord

« Reply #66 on: Sep 24, 2013 11:35 pm »

Couple of notes on this episode:

First of all, I really liked how Aang is really trying to do his best to help here with the spirits and own up to his responsibilities as the Avatar, but has now idea how to do that.  He's such a sweet natured kid and he really wants to help,and he knows he's in over his head, but he tries to figure something out anyway.  Really, he's just trying to figure out by himself how to be the Avatar, because let's face it, no one else could teach him that.

Then there's the B story with Zuko.  I love that he is faced with the choice between going after Aang and saving his uncle, and he ultimately does what's right and goes after Iroh.  You could see from the beginning that this is a guy who has the potential to be good, but is just too blinded by his own bitterness and anger and shame to really show that most of the time.  The slowly emerging character development that Zuko undergoes throughout the series is really one of the show's biggest strengths.
Colonel_Brian
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #67 on: Apr 02, 2016 08:45 pm »

I love this episode. I loved how Aang was depicted at this stage of the show. He's completely lost in this big, interesting world. I kind of missed how he didn't know anything about being the Avatar. I mean, it was have ducked if he stayed that way, but I thought it added to his character. It really gave consequences to his whole running away thing and gave him some weaknesses that mattered to the narrative. I missed the days when the franchise succeeded at this, but with that said, I also liked the world building. The spirit world was really interesting early on. I prefered it being something that we only barely knew, it made it more spooky and mysterious.

Iroh and Zuko's had a good plot. I agree it was standard fare, but it did it well and had a cool fight.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: