Jul 27, 2017 11:41 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Rate This Episode:
10 - 36 (27.3%)
9 - 27 (20.5%)
8 - 31 (23.5%)
7 - 17 (12.9%)
6 - 12 (9.1%)
5 - 5 (3.8%)
4 - 1 (0.8%)
3 - 1 (0.8%)
2 - 1 (0.8%)
1 - 1 (0.8%)
Total Voters: 129

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [107] The Spirit World: Winter Solstice Part 1  (Read 16784 times)
Enter The Avatar State
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Sig by KataraTheWaterbender

spenderbomber_7@hotmail.com
« Reply #25 on: Sep 03, 2007 11:06 pm »

Couldn't Aang just ask Hei Bai to grab Sokka and pull him into the Spirit World?

Keeping: Sokka's armor, The Avatar State, all Waterbending and all Firebending
HaikuQueen
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I love Sokka.

xlivyax@hotmail.com N/A N/A
« Reply #26 on: Sep 17, 2007 12:20 pm »

The Gaang bit wasn't as good as the Zuko/Iroh bit. =] 'Nuff said really.

Official warning: this signature has been removed for being in violation of the NEW SIGNATURE RULES that were announced last year. -Forau
Ummi_4thchukra
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

The 4th Chakra = love, blocked by Grief.

« Reply #27 on: Oct 03, 2007 10:54 pm »

In Book 1 Ch 7: The Winter Solstice, Aang follows the Hei-Bai into the spirit world... kinda. and is still in the regular world but becomes transparent so no one can see him (except for Iroh, i'm curious about that too....), but later in The Seige of the North Part 2 and in, when Aang goes into the spirit world, he is really in another world. why is the spirit world portrayed differently in these 2 episodes?
MaikoRULES
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

flameo sir, flam...e...o

« Reply #28 on: Oct 13, 2007 08:10 pm »

i liked hei-bai. he's so cute when he's not trying to kill people.

Ship Maiko + Kataang + Sukka + Foamzula + Smellershot!!!  Long Live Suki

"The White Lotus opens wide to those who know her secrets."

"Who knocks at the guarded gate?"
"One who has eaten the fruit and tasted its mysteries."
zukotiamo
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #29 on: Oct 30, 2007 01:04 am »

Did anyone notice that Iroh SAW Aang on Roku's dragon when they flew overhead, even though they were in the spirit world?

Keeper of Katara's PMS
Tamer Brad
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #30 on: Oct 30, 2007 02:15 am »

Did anyone notice that Iroh SAW Aang on Roku's dragon when they flew overhead, even though they were in the spirit world?

I sure as hell didn't. This is a pretty important detail.
JuDee
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

^Credit to INTJf

« Reply #31 on: Oct 30, 2007 06:10 am »

^I noticed it. And it has been mentioned in Siege of the North that Iroh's been to the Spirirt World before.
What's the meaning of this?
Well, we have to wait for the upcoming episodes. :d

Keeps : Female Air Nomad's robe, Aang's Fire Nation school outfit, Joo Dee's official tour guide robe and The Day of Black Sun.
PrismBender
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #32 on: Nov 16, 2007 03:16 pm »

re: Iroh and the spirit world.

This episode opened up so many doors in the Avaverse.

My guess is Iroh went to the spirit world to see his son after he died and something there changed him.

I'm betting you the Guru can go to the spirit world too. Aangs the bridge but that doesn't mean he's the only doorway, he's more like the moderator.

I wanna learn more about the spirit world and see more of Irohs journy to it. Is this possibly in a comic anywhere?
zukotiamo
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #33 on: Nov 19, 2007 03:07 am »

Ok, I watched this again (must kill time waiting for DOBS to officially air!) and Sokka was taken by Hai Bi, then aang almost caught him, extended his hand, but then Sokka disappeared into the spirit world, but was release unharmed later.

This reminded me of Zhao being seized by the water monster in Seige of the North, Zuko extending his hand, Zhao refusing it, and going into the spirit world.

So Zhao - to me - can come back.  I see Azhaola as a match (made in he**)

Iroh has been & come back. (as posted above)...
Aang & Sokka have been & come back...
It could happen again...

Keeper of Katara's PMS
Izmir
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #34 on: Apr 14, 2008 10:13 pm »

I'm surprised this chapter dose not have as many posts as others of a similar type, that is compared to, say, its second half. With every Season, there is a different feel to the chapters; they change and morf into new and interesting plots, character developements, and even art. I really like all of these points in this chapter, but one point in particular; as already mentioned above by Ummi_4thchukra, there is something offset or strange about the Spirit World. 

In Book 1 Ch 7: The Winter Solstice, Aang follows the Hei-Bai into the spirit world... kinda. and is still in the regular world but becomes transparent so no one can see him (except for Iroh, i'm curious about that too....), but later in The Seige of the North Part 2 and in, when Aang goes into the spirit world, he is really in another world. why is the spirit world portrayed differently in these 2 episodes?

I've wonded at this myself, and another thing: the is a character (the Transcripts title him 'Old Man') who says, in my opinion, a very importent line, which may lead to something in upcomming chapters. The line goes,   

Old man, "As the solstice approaches, the natural world and the spirit world grow closer and closer until the line between them is blurred completely."

Perhaps this is how Iroh entered the Spirit World before. And perhaps the Summer Soulstice will feature a similar scene. What are your thoughts on this, guys?

-Izmir

"Only in silence the word,
only in dark the light,
only in dying life:
bright the hawk's flight
on the empty sky."
~ Ursula K. LeGuin
SMBH
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Lord Zuko is not amused

« Reply #35 on: Apr 14, 2008 10:21 pm »

Perhaps this is how Iroh entered the Spirit World before. And perhaps the Summer Soulstice will feature a similar scene. What are your thoughts on this, guys?

The summer solstice already happened, in episode 306 ("The Avatar and the Fire Lord").

BTW, welcome to ASN! Cheesy

ATLA Keeps: Kuei's necklace, Pandalilies, Zhaodburns, Sokka's DoBS speech
TLOK Keeps: Sparkly bush, Aang's statue, Korrlok, Asami's racetrack
AangGang1192
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #36 on: Apr 15, 2008 12:07 am »

I liked this episode. It's decent. I like Roku's dragon as well as the big Panda. Grin

I think this episode deserves an 8 or a 9.
Izmir
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #37 on: Apr 16, 2008 06:26 pm »

The summer solstice already happened, in episode 306 ("The Avatar and the Fire Lord").

BTW, welcome to ASN! Cheesy

Oh...Well, that's embarrassing! So much for that theory. *hits forehead on table* I appreciate it.

"Only in silence the word,
only in dark the light,
only in dying life:
bright the hawk's flight
on the empty sky."
~ Ursula K. LeGuin
azulozai0812
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #38 on: Apr 24, 2008 08:50 pm »

Rated this episode 6/10. A little simple

I like the parts where the evil spirit turns to Hei Bai, when Fang and Aang (it rhymes!) go to the Fire Sage's Temple, and when Sokka needs to go to the bathrooms because by experience, there was no bathrooms in the SW.
PseudoEthnic
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2008 04:14 pm »

This was a cool episode! I like the Irko moments in it, especially the battle at the end. The introduction of the Spirit World was also cool. Iroh sees dead people. xD Sokka wasn't really that much funny, so basically, Iroh and Zuko stole the show for me. Nonetheless, I really liked this episode.

Rating-8/10
DarkOzai
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #40 on: Jun 05, 2008 04:16 pm »

Interesting review, Iroh and Zuko took the comic relief for that episode, huh?

I was thinking...when Fang approached Aang when he was in the Spirit World, Did he come from Roku's shrine on the crescent shaped island, or from Roku's home where he and Fang was buried under the volcano ash 112 years ago?

felinoel
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Order of the White Lotus Grandmaster

readerschoice16@hotmail.com the+3mj readerschoice16@sbcglobal.net
« Reply #41 on: Jun 16, 2008 12:00 am »

You know what I find the most interesting part of this episode? That Sokka went into the Spirit World. I really wish he would try to go back, perhaps to see Yue. It would be so very awesome to see an episode where that happens.
That is a really interesting idea.  I mean, he pretended to be the Avatar to impress a girl (Nick comic), so why not try going to the spirit world to see Yue?  The gaang has run into that panda more than once...
Yue isn't in the Spirit World, she only became the Moon Spirit, and the Moon and Ocean spirits both left the Spirit World long ago

I am guessing the Spirit World is bigger then you are thinking it is, one part of it would be an overworld of the natural world, and the other would be its own world, with its own landscapes and whatnot. Seeing as how Hei Bai was the protector of that forest he would naturally be residing in the overworld part of the Spirit World in his forest

re: Iroh and the spirit world.

This episode opened up so many doors in the Avaverse.

My guess is Iroh went to the spirit world to see his son after he died and something there changed him.

I'm betting you the Guru can go to the spirit world too. Aangs the bridge but that doesn't mean he's the only doorway, he's more like the moderator.

I wanna learn more about the spirit world and see more of Irohs journy to it. Is this possibly in a comic anywhere?
I want to learn more about the Spirit World too, but here is why I came to this thread, in this episode they say the Spirit World and the natural world grow closer together until the solstice, and on the solstice the line between them "fades"
Whats the deal with this? Might there be entryway into the Spirit World on the solstice like how there was entryway into the natural world for Hei Bai?

Who knocks at the garden gate?
One who has eaten the fruit and tasted its mysteries.
michael_9992
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #42 on: Jul 15, 2008 01:05 pm »

I was just watching book 1 again and noticed the Iroh seeing the dragon, stood out like a candle in a dark room for me. I can't get my head around it, what does it mean! Ive seen all the latest eps (up to 315) and have seen the firebending masters episode.....this must become clearer within the final Cheesy

Also, was curious about how they will voice Iroh, his my favourite character and with the passing of Mako, i wonder whats happend to his character during book 3, hasnt been much.
felinoel
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #43 on: Jul 15, 2008 01:19 pm »

I was just watching book 1 again and noticed the Iroh seeing the dragon, stood out like a candle in a dark room for me. I can't get my head around it, what does it mean! Ive seen all the latest eps (up to 315) and have seen the firebending masters episode.....this must become clearer within the final Cheesy

Also, was curious about how they will voice Iroh, his my favourite character and with the passing of Mako, i wonder whats happend to his character during book 3, hasnt been much.
People theorize that Iroh has been in the Spirit World before, also they might not get into it in the final, because they are considering giving Iroh his own series I hear

The replacement is adequete, but he is no Mako :'(

michael_9992
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #44 on: Jul 15, 2008 11:24 pm »

:O his own series that would be great but I dont know now that mako has died. Would really like a 4th book/spin off. Hopefully the movies will generate more interest into avatar.
Violet Vespertine
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #45 on: Sep 11, 2008 07:24 pm »

I enjoyed the Zuko/Iroh moments more than the Aang/Sokka/Katara ones.  Naked Uncle Iroh and Zuko's reaction are priceless. 
Iroh's escape from the Earthbenders is awesome.  He is one smart old retired general.  Zuko smelling Iroh's sandal also priceless.  Uncle and nephew fight well together too and I'm glad that Zuko gave Iroh some props.

The whole Aang in the spirit world part was not too exciting.  But the appearance of Avatar Roku's spirit guide was interesting and a good lead in for the next episode.

Also loved Sokka's delivery of the "oh yeah, we're so getting eaten by a spirit monster" line.
felinoel
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #46 on: Sep 11, 2008 08:12 pm »

:O his own series that would be great but I dont know now that mako has died. Would really like a 4th book/spin off. Hopefully the movies will generate more interest into avatar.
There definitely will not be a 4th book, and there definitely will be a spinoff series or so
I enjoyed the Zuko/Iroh moments more than the Aang/Sokka/Katara ones.  Naked Uncle Iroh and Zuko's reaction are priceless. 
Iroh's escape from the Earthbenders is awesome.  He is one smart old retired general.  Zuko smelling Iroh's sandal also priceless.  Uncle and nephew fight well together too and I'm glad that Zuko gave Iroh some props.

The whole Aang in the spirit world part was not too exciting.  But the appearance of Avatar Roku's spirit guide was interesting and a good lead in for the next episode.

Also loved Sokka's delivery of the "oh yeah, we're so getting eaten by a spirit monster" line.

The delivery of that was effing excellent

Gye Byrd
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #47 on: Sep 24, 2008 01:24 am »

I loved this episode. It's about time we get to see more of Zuko and Iroh. We never get enough Iroh in this show. How can a person not like fat, old men that still kick anus?

Let's talk about the GAang first. That destruction of the forest by the Fire Nation was terrible. What was the whole point of that, though? It didn't look like anybody was killed in it, nor were there any remains of a village there. However, the reality slaps Aang in the face and he takes it pretty hard. I feel for him. He's supposed to protect the world, so seeing this senseless destruction must really put a damper on his mood. At least he accepts it when Katara throws an acorn at his head to teach him a lesson... a lesson about rebirth and regrowth.

Actually, I'm surprised Katara knows something like that. Didn't she live in the south pole her whole life? Nothing grows there. How did she know the forest would grow back and the life that used to be there would return? Oh well, maybe I should just accept it and move on with my life like Aang. This is probably just one of her unexplainable ways of knowing things like Zuko's name during The Warriors of Kyoshi.

Sokka: Yeah, we're all gonna get eaten by a spirit monster.

That was the greatest line in the episode. You can never get enough of his sarcasm. It was even better than when he threw his boomerang at Hei Bai and it just bounced off its buttocks.

Man, the first time I saw this episode when Aang woke up after drifting off into the spirit world I couldn't even tell he was blue. I thought it was just the lighting effects of night time. Wonder why Aang didn't use being in the spirit world to his advantage with Katara? He could've seen her at a very, umm... vulnerable time without any consequences! Shocked Oh goodness, I have such a dirty mind.

I was intrigued by the final confrontation. All he had to do was give it an acorn to change it back into a panda bear. That reminds me, why did he keep an acorn with him? Doesn't he want it to grow into a tree? He was all depressed about the forest being burned down, but he kept this acorn from having a home with its leaves in the sky?

Time for the adventures of Iroh and Zuko. I must admit, I like their adventures more than the GAang's. Those were some pretty hot hot springs. Looked like the water was boiling. I loved how Zuko forced Iroh to get outta the water only to have him relax some more.

Zuko's quite the sleuthy one. Land doesn't slide uphill. That'd be pretty cool if it did. Iroh even left him a clue to find him. That was hilarious when he sniffed the sandal and immediately knew it was Iroh. How does he know that? Does Zuko have a foot fetish or something? Must be pretty strong, since he'd rather save his uncle than chase the Avatar.

Iroh can be pretty cruel, too. He burned that soldier's hand pretty bad during his fake escape. Oh well, no worries. During the group fight at the end I didn't see one soldier caressing his hand or avoid using it. That fight at the end was great. Never knew Zuko could break a chain with his foot. Maybe it's in the shoes. Iroh has some slick moves. He broke boulders with chains. That's more than the guy from Castlevania could ever do. The way Zuko dodged the main earthbender's rocks was very beautifully animated. In the end our favorite boys won, like the way it should be.

Never mess with the Iroh.

I give this episode a 10.
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

thank god

« Reply #48 on: Nov 17, 2008 08:27 pm »

Why hello there, Avatar's version of Beowulf!

1) Hei Bai. One of my favorite spirits. He's a killer panda for the love of Toph!
2) Fang's first appearance. After seeing how that poor dragon died in TAATFL, watching him again felt sentimental.
3) Even with Iroh in his lioncloth he can still kicked bootie.
4) Does not want to know how on earth Zuko knows what Iroh's foot smells like. No.
5) Makes me wonder: All these theories of Iroh seeing spirits because he went to the Spirit World. Sokka was physically kidnapped to the Spirit World. Shouldn't that apply to him as well?

Ack, whatever.
« Last Edit: Nov 17, 2008 08:29 pm by Avatar Yuffie » Logged

Be one with Mother Russia? Y/Y/tomatoes

iKeep: Love Amongst the Dragons; Zuko's obsession with Aang; Zuko's inner fire
Uzelxa
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #49 on: Sep 03, 2009 07:35 pm »

I'm watching this one again on Nick, and I just now noticed that Katara has her hair braided in this episode; looks kind of cool.  Appa looks a bit different in this episode.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: