Nov 20, 2017 02:25 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Rate This Episode:
10 - 36 (27.3%)
9 - 27 (20.5%)
8 - 31 (23.5%)
7 - 17 (12.9%)
6 - 12 (9.1%)
5 - 5 (3.8%)
4 - 1 (0.8%)
3 - 1 (0.8%)
2 - 1 (0.8%)
1 - 1 (0.8%)
Total Voters: 129

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [107] The Spirit World: Winter Solstice Part 1  (Read 17343 times)
Acastus
Expert Advisor
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Victim of the gelatinous cube.

« on: Feb 11, 2006 09:56 am »

Long Episode Description From Nick.com: Aang's need for a teacher becomes evident when he is recruited to help rid a town of a monster from the spirit world - a perfect job for the Avatar, which Aang has no idea how to perform. When the spirit monster arrives, Aang not only fails to appease it but it kidnaps Sokka. Aang returns to the village, only to find that no one can see or hear him - he has stumbled into the spirit world! In the spirit world, Aang is contacted by a dragon and finds out what his next mission will be, to contact the previous Avatar (Avatar Roku), who has extremely important information for him. The only problem is, to contact Avatar Roku, Aang must get to a temple in the Fire Nation before the end of the winter solstice, in a couple of days. Aang eventually makes it out of the spirit world, and with the experience he has gained, he is able to make peace between the village and the spirit monster. The town is saved and Sokka returns. But the group faces another challenge...
Zukofan
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1 on: Apr 01, 2006 01:40 am »

This episode, and it's second half, are the only ones I have never seen.  I want to see them really bad.  I heard Iroh gets nabbed by a bunch of earthbenders!  What is that about?
Opal Koboi
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Fools rush in where lemurs fear to look

« Reply #2 on: Apr 01, 2006 02:00 am »

You have to see this one, Zukofan, it has the funniest moment between Iroh and Zuko  Shocked (which I better not spoil for you).
Having just re-watched Princess Mononoke I was struck by the similsrity between the movie and this episode. Both feature an animal spirit/god who goes on a destructive rampage after humans destroyed its forest.

Zukofan
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #3 on: Apr 09, 2006 04:34 pm »

You have to see this one, Zukofan, it has the funniest moment between Iroh and Zuko (which I better not spoil for you).
*watches eppisode (finally) and nearly dies laughing*
LOL!!! Omg that was soooo funny...with the hot springs...
Zuko: "Get out of the water!"
Iroh: "Very well..."
Zuko: Shocked *cringes/holds up hand and looks away* "...ONNN second thought, why don't you take another few minutes...?"

And then when Zuko tentitavely sniffs the sandal...
"GUGH!!!...yup, that's uncle Iroh..."  >_<

And then after the fight with the earthbenders...
Zuko: "...now would you PLEASE put on some CLOTHES?"

Oh, man...so funny...and I must say I am very proud of Zuko for doing the right thing and going after his uncle instead of chasing the avatar (which of course only happened to be Katara flying Appa...)
« Last Edit: Apr 09, 2006 04:37 pm by Zukofan » Logged
someone198
« Reply #4 on: Apr 23, 2006 09:48 pm »

I'm afraid I once again found Zuko's side of the story much more interesting than Aang's, though I did love Sokka's "Yeah... ... we're all gonna get eaten by a spirit monster."
Angel Of Shadows
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2006 06:13 pm »

I jsu got done watching this episode and I have to awit a whole 24 hours to see part two! grrrrrrrrr anyway. This episode really put the whole nephew and Uncle between zuko and Iroh in affect. It was very cool

Sig courtsey of Zukofan.

YOU ROCK MY WORLD ZUKOFAN!!!!!! Smiley @)---'--,-
TimKai
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I get to hear their delightful screaming again...

« Reply #6 on: Sep 16, 2006 12:02 pm »

I enjoyed this episode for OTHER reasons than most.  Iroh hadn't until this episode done anything to prove what a brilliant strategist he is, which is nice.  However, the one thing that highlighted this episode was Iroh seeing Spirit Aang on the dragon fly past.  And only he saw it, which hits you in the head with the fact that he isn't just some goofy uncle figure.  Which is solidified later on when it is revealed that Iroh had gone to the spirit world.  I have to wonder if that will ever be touched upon again . . .

~Do what thou wilt shall the the whole of the law~
*Aleister Crowley*
grant
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

"Where we're going, you won't need any pants!"

« Reply #7 on: Sep 26, 2006 02:06 pm »

I'm sure this question has been asked and/or answered before, but how was Iroh able to see Aang while he was in spirit form? Huh

After Iroh was captured by the earthbenders, he sees Aang flying Roku's dragon overhead, and gasps. It seems he's the only human character that has the ability. Was this ever explained during Season 1? If so, I was clearly not paying attention.  Embarrassed

"Four seasons, four loves..."
Firelord Sunny
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Yip yip!

ladymecha
« Reply #8 on: Sep 26, 2006 02:29 pm »

Its been noted in newer episodes that Iroh has been to the spirit world.
are you in europe or elsewhere grant?

Space, the final frontier...
These are the voyages of the flying bison Appa.
His ongoing mission, to explore strange new worlds,
To help Aang seek out new bending masters and escape the firenation.
To boldy go where no flying bison has gone before...

Keeper of Davros' frozen head
grant
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

"Where we're going, you won't need any pants!"

« Reply #9 on: Sep 26, 2006 02:39 pm »

Its been noted in newer episodes that Iroh has been to the spirit world.
are you in europe or elsewhere grant?

I'm in Jersey, so I guess I don't really have an excuse other than not paying attention Smiley

I do recall Iroh being very knowledgable of the spirit world and its inhabitants, but I didn't know he was actually there. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

"Four seasons, four loves..."
Quadgurl
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Zutarian queen at your service-o

« Reply #10 on: Sep 26, 2006 10:31 pm »

I rated it a 9, but I should've rated it a 10. Tongue This was an awesome part of an awesome 2 - part- episode. I loved it. It was really exciting and made me go EEEE!!!! and the ending was great too. Shiou (sp?) should;ve gone with them.

Sokaang + Zutara = My Avatar ships Grin
Join the zutarian-empire today! http://zutarian-empire.deviantart.com
Kari
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Friends are worth more than any gold or jewels.

« Reply #11 on: Sep 27, 2006 02:42 am »

Uh well... My opinion about this story is devided.
I didn't like the Aang-part of the story. I don't know. I mean, Sokka was funny as always, but Aang and the monster... I can't explain why, I just didn't like it that much.
The Iroh/Zuko-part was excellent. I just read an old thread where there is said that Zuko treats Iroh unfair and should respect him more. I think this episode shows clearly how much Iroh means to Zuko.
And I loved the scene when the earthbenders were going to smash Iroh's hands and Zuko finally safed him. And during the following fight they both worked together so perfectly - what can show better how close they are?
And TimKai is very right with Iroh being a "brilliant strategist". IMO it's a bit a pity that Iroh mostly is presented as an odd old man in the stories, though he is probably one of the most powerful and most clever characters of "Avatar". He deserved that episode.
Well, and the bath scene... Grin No need to talk about this, yeah? One of the best scenes existing!
BTW: has anyone noticed that Zuko once acted like Iroh in that episode? At the end: The fight is over, the earth benders are defeated, lying on the ground, Iroh just safed from evisceration. Zuko: "Now please put on some clothes."
^^ In my opinion this is like typical Iroh-acting. Perhaps Zuko will become similar to Iroh when he gets more patient and level-headed?

Love,
Kari

Official warning: this signature has been removed for being in violation of the NEW SIGNATURE RULES that were announced last year. -Forau
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #12 on: Oct 01, 2006 04:41 pm »

iroh rules but the zuko story was better.... the avatar outshone by his would-be captor

^Made in the Earth Kingdom

Keeper of Momo's dancing

HURRICANE RIPS THROUGH GRAVEYARD!!! THOUSANDS DEAD!!!
AvaGirl
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #13 on: Oct 01, 2006 06:58 pm »

You know what I find the most interesting part of this episode? That Sokka went into the Spirit World. I really wish he would try to go back, perhaps to see Yue. It would be so very awesome to see an episode where that happens.

...otherwise, I must say this episode didn't do much for me Tongue The Gaang's half of the story I didn't particularly enjoy, but I did like Zuko and Iroh's... Overall- 7/10

Keeper of Sokka & Yue's love.
dodgeram
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #14 on: Feb 06, 2007 11:23 am »

woohoo. nice episode

Try to write longer posts. If you like an episode, say why you like it! Remember that other people are reading these posts too, so make sure what you're saying has something in it that they can respond to. Any questions, please PM me. Smiley -Tananda, Board Moderator
« Last Edit: Feb 06, 2007 06:30 pm by Tananda » Logged
Docta
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #15 on: Feb 06, 2007 07:44 pm »

You know what I find the most interesting part of this episode? That Sokka went into the Spirit World. I really wish he would try to go back, perhaps to see Yue. It would be so very awesome to see an episode where that happens.

...otherwise, I must say this episode didn't do much for me Tongue The Gaang's half of the story I didn't particularly enjoy, but I did like Zuko and Iroh's... Overall- 7/10
He went to the Spirit World? Hmm, I was under the impression that he was just hidden by Hei Bai somewhere.

Could this mean that Iroh went into the Spirit World the same way Sokka did?
Litwolf
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #16 on: Feb 07, 2007 02:29 pm »

I loved watching Iroh fight with the chains on his wrists. It reminded me of some action movie, it just looked so cool!

So, Roku's dragon. Loved its looks, hated its name! Fang?! Come on!

Keeper of the penguins!!!

I support Kataang, Katoph, Sukka (sometimes Yukka), and Moppa (which is totally canon, dont deny it!)

Cool sig is still under construction
jman1009
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Time to face your destiny...

« Reply #17 on: Feb 07, 2007 03:36 pm »

My favorite part of this episode is when Iroh and Zuko take on all those earthbenders.

A loose quote: "Surrender, you're clearly outnumbered."

Iroh, "True, but you are clearly outmatched."

And then a great fight scene occurs. This alone made it a 10 for me.

Sig by Sedai
Acastus
Expert Advisor
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Victim of the gelatinous cube.

« Reply #18 on: Feb 18, 2007 12:01 pm »

792 shiny new DVD screenshots are now available for this episode in the DVD screenshot section of the mainsite.
bluefairy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #19 on: Apr 05, 2007 01:00 am »

I liked the plot of this episode, and the opening scene was classic (XD), but the animation in this episode was really bugging me. They must have animated it at a different studio or something, because a lot of the characters look different than in other episodes. Particularly Aang's eyes; they look shinier than usual.

Keeper of Aang's Tsungi horn, Aang's "PENGUIN!!" and Foofoocuddlypoops' mother.
leech
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #20 on: Apr 08, 2007 01:42 am »

My favourite moment in this episode was when Aang found out that Hei Bei was the Spirit of the forest and when he gave him the acorn... That was sooo.. touching. I nearly cried at this point. Which is not typical of me at all.

And of course, the story of Iroh and Zuko was unforgettable Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy.  And I liked it when Zuko said: "You taught me well." Suddenly you realise that Iroh indeed has done for Zuko far more that his own father has.

(Short modification). I rewatched this episode a few days ago - and here's something I have never noticed before. That was really funny:Smiley)))

Sokka: Hei-Bai! Over here!
(He lets loose the boomerang. Switch to a view of the creature from behind. The boomerang rotates into view, hits the creature's butt, and bounces off with a sound effect indicating its harmless impact. It falls on the ground. Cut back to Sokka, who runs up to Aang.)

« Last Edit: May 06, 2007 06:40 am by leech » Logged

Keeper of:
Mai's "Just take the bear"
Iroh's "The secret ingredient is love"
Zuko's "I have changed"
Sokka's "Please accept this humble and tasty offering! Thank you"
KOHBOPATCHFACESTEALER
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

tsk tsk

« Reply #21 on: Jul 31, 2007 10:50 pm »

wow thanks for pointing that out havent seen that episode in awile it is strange though

Bobopatch

<object width="450" height="728"><param name="movie" value="http://backend.deviantart.com/embed/view.swf"></param><param name="flashvars" value="id=54645561" /><embed src="http://backend.deviantart.com/embed/view.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" flashvars="id=546455
Kievan
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #22 on: Aug 01, 2007 03:16 pm »

That is a really interesting idea.  I mean, he pretended to be the Avatar to impress a girl (Nick comic), so why not try going to the spirit world to see Yue?  The gaang has run into that panda more than once...

Keeper of Aang's different angles, clever solutions, and trickity tricks
KOHBOPATCHFACESTEALER
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

tsk tsk

« Reply #23 on: Aug 01, 2007 07:19 pm »

"quote"That is a really interesting idea.  I mean, he pretended to be the Avatar to impress a girl (Nick comic), so why not try going to the spirit world to see Yue?  The gaang has run into that panda more than once...)

he cannot only aang through meditation can

Bobopatch

<object width="450" height="728"><param name="movie" value="http://backend.deviantart.com/embed/view.swf"></param><param name="flashvars" value="id=54645561" /><embed src="http://backend.deviantart.com/embed/view.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" flashvars="id=546455
coolcamz18
Can't Use Avatars
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #24 on: Aug 01, 2007 11:21 pm »

"quote"That is a really interesting idea.  I mean, he pretended to be the Avatar to impress a girl (Nick comic), so why not try going to the spirit world to see Yue?  The gaang has run into that panda more than once...)

he cannot only aang through meditation can

yeah the avatar is from the spirit world sent to the mortal world...he is the bridge of the mortal to the spirit world....yeah onl meditation can get him there.......sokka was only there because he was kidnapped by hei bai an i think he was in prison tin the spirit world

Guess who's back?! Wink
well only for a little while.. :'(
I just miss my friends Grin
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: